Thursday 16 February 2012

I'm the laziest guage swatcher in the world!

But at least I'm blocking it!

I finally wound the yarn for my sweater into a ball. In the pattern, the author wrote: Take time to make time. Check your gauge. She even bolded it. Geeze! Way to guilt a person into knitting a swatch.

I hate doing gauge swatches. They are such a waste of time. Essentially, you knit a square to make sure you have a certain number of stitches in a certain length on the needle size specified. Otherwise your sweater may end up bigger or smaller than intended. I NEVER swatch. Basically because I'm too excited to start knitting, but I'm also usually knitting pint sized items, so if my gauge isn't working out I can frog back the small amount of work I've done and restart. So i guess I do swatch, but I do it it by starting the item.

This time around I'm knitting a me sized item, which is considerably larger than pint sized.

And so I swatch, because if I got to the bodice of the sweater and realised my gauge was off I can guarantee I would stuff into the back of my yarn-oire (armoire - appropriately named by the Mister) and never look at it again.

But I will admit, I knit a half-assed swatch. I'm supposed to knit a 5 inch by 5 inch square but mine is 5 inches by about 3, only because my row gauge isn't nearly as important as my stitch gauge, and I'm a lazy swatcher.



Oh and here are the crappy scrappies I'm working on. I finished one leg and am taking a break to start my sweater, but I supposed you figured that out.




No comments:

Post a Comment